The Society of Jesus (Jesuits) has a presence in many departments throughout Peru through its parishes, schools and social and pastoral centers. The work at all of these institutions is directed by Jesuits and a professional cadre committed to the mission of serving others.
We educate more than 90,000 pupils through our Fe y Alegría schools and and others belonging to the Asociación de Colegios Jesuitas del Perú (ACSIP: La Inmaculada in Lima, San Ignacio de Loyola in Piura, San José in Arequipa and Cristo Rey in Tacna). We offer higher education in eight professional career subjects and postgraduate programmes at the Universidad Antonio Ruiz de Montoya (UARM).
We assist local development processes within the context of our faith and the promotion of justice. We work through our social centers, which are present in more than ten of the country’s geographical departments. Our spirituality, inspired by Saint Ignatius of Loyola, ensures our commitment and attention to people’s faith, and to accompanying them on a daily basis. We serve in parishes and churches in the cities of Trujillo, Lima, Arequipa, Ayacucho, Cusco and Santa María de Nieva. We also have six Loyola Centers for training laity in matters of faith and citizenship.
Mission of the Peruvian Province
The Society of Jesus is at the service of the Mission of Christ in the Church, providing the rich experience of the Ignatian Spirituality, integrating Faith and Justice.
The Society works forming people and communities in freedom, responsibility and solidarity, opting preferably for the poor, the youth, and whoever accepts responsibility with the society and the Church.
To contribute, from the Gospel, to build together an intercultural, respectful to nature and peaceful society, with love and justice.
And to assume our Mission for the next years, we have focused it on three areas, which we consider our MAIN OPTIONS. They will be the basics and support to our path:
1. As an Apostolic Body, we are urged to hold on our Life to the Holy Spirit, who will inspire all our works and communities.
2. Driven by the power of Incarnation and to integrate faith with life, we must adapt the education of laypersons and Jesuits to our time.
3. As followers of Christ, who has enriched us with his poverty, we want to strengthen our options for the poor and excluded people.
For each area we indicate what we understand and the way we are going to work to accomplish them.
Vision of the Peruvian Province
The Peruvian Province assumes these proposals to become – in the next five years as an apostolic body – a Province with these characteristics:
- – Since the integration of Faith and Justice, it shares with the laypersons the same mission, focused in forming to transform the national reality
- – It’s meaningfully placed into the poor people’s world
- – It acts with dynamism, creativity and mysticism in networks and discerning teams
- – It generates an impact in the society, considering its social, cultural and political gaps
- – Its apostolic activity and its communal, reachable, always praying and reflexive life style gains vocations
- – It’s a quality and integral regarding by its educational contribution
- – It’s always present in the ecclesiastical life for the formation of faith and the dialogue between faith, culture, ethics and politics
- – It has improved and optimized the financial and administrative management of all its works.
How can you help?
You can help as a volunteer or by making a material or economic donation to our projects. Get in touch with us by writing to our email address.
Society of Jesus in Peru – Development Office:
email@example.com or by calling (+51-1) 446-4465
Calle Gral. Silva 141, Miraflores
Lima 18, Peru
You can be condent that your help will get to the people who most need it!
Video “Mission in Peru” (Midwest Province of the Society of Jesus in the United States)